- Constitution of Committee for establishment of Medical College and Referral Hospital under the chairmanship of the the Chief Minister on 8th May 2009
- 2 Committees were constituted on 27th Sept. 2012 under the chairmanship of the Chief Minister regarding-
- Shifting of Civil Hospital to Falkawn.
- Establishment of Medical College in Mizoram- Meeting was then held under chairmanship of Hon’ble Chief Minister on 12th Oct. 2012.
- On 16th Oct. 2012 two Working Committees were constituted - a) Operationalization of Referral Hospital, Falkawn (viz-a-viz shifting of Civil Hospital Aizawl), b) Establishment of Mizoram Medical College.
- On 31st Jan. 2013 M/S Satya Medtech India Ltd, New Delhi was given appointment letter to prepare DPR (@ total consultancy fee of Rs. 30 lakhs).
- Pi Esther Lalruatkimi, Secretary (H&FW) submitted DPR for Medical College with 150 seats at project cost of Rs. 442.3 in April 2013. GoI did not accept this proposal.
- Dr. Vishwas Mehta, Joint Secretary, MOHFW, GoI on 9th May 2013 wrote to GoM about new CSS to be launched during 12th Plan period to establish new Medical College attached to existing district/referral hospitals and to take necessary actions in the matter. In response to this, revised DPR amounting to Rs. 201.37 crores was submitted on 17th Jan. 2014 to MOHFW by Secretary (H&FW)
- On 19th Feb. 2014 Dr Vishwas Mehta, Joint Secretary, MOHFW gave approval for opening of new Medical College at State Referral Hospital Falkawn under the CSS “Establishment of Medical College attached with existing district/referral hospitals” with a project cost of Rs. 189 crores.
- The details of funding for CSS under MOHFW is given below-
Building for Medical College
Hostel for students/faculty
Upgradation of district hospital
Rs. 189 crores
Funding pattern= 90:10 (Rs. 170.1 Crores as Central share & Rs.18.9 Crores as state share)
- Draft MoU for state to sign was received from MoHFW and was signed by state and sent to JS, MOHFW on 24th March 2014. This MOU was signed by both parties (GoI & GoM) on 16th May 2014.
- Various bodies related to setting up of Medical College, e.g. Board of Management, etc. was constituted on 21st May 2014.
- 1st meeting of Medical College Committee was held on 9th June 2013 under the chairmanship of the then Health Minister, Pu Lal Thanzara, where the name of Medical College was approved as “Mizoram Institute of Medical Education & Research”- MIMER among other agenda points.
- GoM replied to the offer made by HSCC (India) Limited on 22nd June 2014 and accepted their offer on 25th June 2015.
- Preparation of Application Form to be submitted to MCI through MOHFW was prepared jointly by Dr. Rosangluaia, Dr. John Zohmingthanga, Dr Eric Zomawia and Dr. Jane R. Ralte under the leadership of Dr. Lalbiakkima, DHME in July/August 2014.
- Application form for establishing Medical College was submitted to MOHFW for the first time for onward submission to MCI on 29th Aug. 2014 for 50 intake.
- On 29th Aug. 2014, creation of various posts for MIMER was approved by Department of Personnel & Administrative Reforms.
- TEC meeting was held on 13th Nov. 2014 at MOHFW, GOI which was attended by Dr. Lalbiakkima, Director of Hospital & Medical Education (DHME) and Dr. Eric Zomawia, Dy. DHME. Notable points discussed included exclusion of CHA from Medical College proposal and to plan for 100 students intake (as against 50 intake).
- On 25th Nov.2014, GOM and HSCC India Ltd. signed MoU in the office chamber of Chief Secretary.
- Advisory Committee Meeting of MIMER was held on 10th Dec. 2014 under the chairmanship of the Health Minister. Upgradation of SRH so as to fulfill MCI norms was reiterated as the distance of more than 10 Kms between CHA & SRH made it impossible to consider these two hospitals as one unit for setting up Medical College.
- The Engineering Cell of Directorate of Hospital & Medical Education started repair and renovation work on the hospital and quarters from June 2015 so as to start the preparation of SRH for MCI Inspection.
- State Matching Share of Rs. 5.56 crores was allocated by Finance Department, Government of Mizoram on 9th June, 2015.
- Application Forms was submitted to MOHFW for the second time for 100 intake on 31st Aug. 2015.
- Civil Works commenced at SHRF by implementing agency of HSCC i.e. KMV Projects Ltd, on 6th Oct. 2015.
- First Installment of Rs. 20 crores was released by MOHFW to Mizoram on 29th Jan. 2016.
- Notification was issued by GoM on the 2nd Feb. 2016 declaring State Referral Hospital, Falkawn as a 300 bedded hospital.
- On 12th Feb 2016 the Health Minister wrote to Dr. J P Nadda, Union Health Minister and stressed on the need for Mizoram to have a Medical College. He requested for necessary assistance in the matter & to intervene on our behalf to MCI.
- The Health Minister convened a Joint Meeting with officials of PWD, PHE and P&E on 23rd Feb. 2016, where key issues were discussed in order to foster cooperation and coordination between different departments.
- Office Order was issued on 11th March 2016 to take up all matters related to Medical College in a single file system to avoid delays.
- First inspection of the institute by MCI was held on the 5th & 6th January, 2017.
- M/S MP Khaitan were selected as the implementing agency for the 2nd phase of civil works with a project cost of Rs. 93 crores. A new Academic Block is being constructed under this project apart from renovation and extension of existing hospital buildings.
- Prof. Lallukhum Fimate, retired Director of RIMS, was appointed as the first Director of MIMER on the 27th October, 2017.
- Second inspection of the institute was held on the 21st & 22nd November, 2017 where 27 points of deficiencies were pointed out.
- As per the minutes of meeting held under the chairmanship of the Chief Minister on the 9th November, 2017, a Single Window Clearance Committee was constituted with the Chief Secretary as Chairman and secretaries of DP&AR, Finance and H&FW as members to speed up the recruitment process.
- 629 various posts for MIMER were created on the 14th November, 2017 as per approval of the Council of Ministers.
- Approval for filling up of 409 posts for MIMER was given on the 21st December, 2017 by the Single Window Clearance Committee.
- Approximately 200 other categories of staff were recruited for MIMER during March – June, 2018.
- Re-assessment of MIMER on the 27 deficiency points was held on the 4th April, 2018.
- Pu Lalrinliana Fanai, Commissioner & Secretary, H&FW accompanied by Prof. L. Fimate and Dr. Jane R. Ralte went to New Delhi on the 2nd May, 2018 to meet with MCI and MoHFW officials. They were also accompanied by Pu Ronald Sapa Tlau, MP, Rajya Sabha.
- MCI sent a letter of recommendation for issue of LoP for MIMER to MoHFW on the 15th May, 2018.
- MoHFW gave letter of permission for admission of 100 MBBS students to MIMER for the academic session 2018-19 on the 25th May, 2018.
- Admission process started from July, 2018. Seat allotment undertaken by H&TE, Govt. of Mizoram. 15% reserved for NRI, 15% reserved as Central Pool. 70% as state quota. Fee structure is attached.
- 100 students were admitted for the 1st batch. One student dropped out.
State Quota – 74 nos.
NRI Quota – 14 nos.
AIQ – 11 nos.
- New Paramedical Block was constructed by PWD, GoM. Construction of Boys & Girls hostel at a capacity of 72 nos. each and costing Rs. 10 crores in total started through funds received under NEDP.
- Funds were received from NEDP for upgradation of SRHF to augment the funds received through CSS :
- 2016-17 – Rs. 28 crores
- 2017-18 – Rs. 15 crores
- 2018-19 – Rs. 20 crores
- Recruitment of Faculty for 1st renewal held from the 17th September – 20th September, 2018.
- Additional recruitment of various categories of staff was done during September, 2018 – January, 2019.
- Inspection of the institute for 1st renewal was held on the 4th & 5th December, 2018 by MCI. Letter received from MCI BoG dated 30th January, 2019 where they highlighted 24 points of deficiency from the assessment report with a directive to submit a point-wise compliance report of the deficiencies highlighted within 30 days.
- 1st Semester examination of 1st MBBS was held from 11th – 19th December, 2018
- 2nd phase of recruitment of Faculty for 1st renewal was held on the 6th February, 2019 and on the 27th & 28th February, 2019.
- Request for re-assessment of the institute was submitted to MCI BoG on the 4th March, 2019.
- The 1st College Sports & Cultural Meet was held on the 6th – 8th March, 2019.
- The name of the institute was changed to Zoram Medical College (ZMC) on the 26th April, 2019.
- Re-assessment of the institute was carried out by MCI inspectors on the 3rd May, 2019.
- 1st renewal of permission received from MCI on the 25th May, 2019
- Admission process for 2nd batch of MBBS students was started in July 2019
- Prof. L. Fimate retired as Director of ZMC on the 29th February, 2020
- Dr. T. Lalhmangaihi was appointed as Director of the College in March 2020
- Prof. Sukanta Sinha was appointed as Dean of the College on the 23rd April, 2020